When I read the first chapter of the Gospel of John, I am awestruck once again at Who Jesus is.
This chapter describes the beginning of His public ministry, and He is identified by multiple names and roles in the 51 short verses.
- The Word (verse 1)
- God (verse 1)
- Creator (verse 3)
- Life (verse 4)
- Light (verse 4)
- Lamb of God (verse 29)
- Son of God (verse 34)
- Rabbi/Master/Teacher (verse 38)
- King of Israel (verse 49)
- Son of Man (verse 51)
These names tell me that He can meet my every need, and that He is worthy of all my life and all my praise.
- As the WORD, He gives me TRUTH.
- As GOD, He is all powerful and full of majesty.
- As CREATOR, He can take nothing and make it something.
- As LIFE, He sustains me.
- As LIGHT, He gives me direction through His TRUTH. He shines through the darkness of this world.
- As the LAMB OF GOD, He saves me through His sacrifice on the cross.
- As the SON OF GOD, He gives me access to God.
- As RABBI, He instructs me through His WORD.
- As the KING OF ISRAEL, He fulfills the law that I cannot keep.
- As the SON OF MAN, He understands my temptations, and gives the grace that I need.
The Gospel of John was written to tell us about Jesus. Jesus came, so that we could understand the Father’s great love for us.
May we open our hearts to see and hear Him.
You came, and your own people did not recognize Who You were. Still today You call, but people do not hear. You are the Word spoken, bringing Light and Life. You are Creator of all there is or ever will be. You are the Lamb of God and my Shepherd. You and the Son of God and the Son of Man. You are Master, and You are King. I bow my heart before You.
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh , and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Hebrews 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 for we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
John 14:9 he that has seen Me hath seen the Father;
Photo – Snowy Day in Virginia, Beth Mims