I love the David of the Bible.
I think this is because I identify so fully with his words. He was not a perfect man, but he was an honest man in his relationship to God.
As I thumb through the Book of Psalms, I read about
- his questions and fears and confusions (Psalms 2, 10, 13, 22, 69, 74, 79)*
- his confessions (Psalms 38, 51)*
- his need (Psalms 3, 28)*
- his awe (Psalms 19, 42)*
- his cries for help (Psalms 12, 86, 88)*
- his thankfulness (Psalms 75, 105, 107)*
- his praise (Psalms 34, 47, 87, 96)*
- his confidence in God (Psalms 27, 37, 40, 46, 90, 91, 108)*
- his joy (Psalm 33)*
and I say, “Me too, David! Me, too!”
Psalm 30 displays the gamut of David’s heart and emotions.
- He praises God and recounts how God has helped him (verses 1 – 3).
- He challenges God’s people to give thanks (verse 4).
- He acknowledges God’s discipline (verse 5).
- He states his confidence in God (verses 6 – 7).
- He confesses his need (verses 6 – 9).
- He cries for God’s help (verse 10)
- And, finally, David ends up in the right place praising God (verses 11 – 12).
This life is full of ups and downs. One moment finds me rejoicing at the top of the mountain while the next catches me tumbling into a valley of difficulty or despair.
Like David, though, God is my constant. Whether flying high or groveling in a pit, He is with me. His love and care sustain me. His mercy washes the debris of this world from my soul, and His grace lifts me up.
Like David, I can say that God has turned my mourning into dancing: He has taken away my sad clothes and wrapped me up in His gladness; so that I can sing praise to Him and not be silent. O LORD MY GOD, I WILL GIVE THANKS TO YOU FOREVER! (based on Psalm 30: 11-12)
Psalm 30:10 Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me: Lord, be thou my helper. 11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: Thou has put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; 12 to the end that my glory may sing praise to Thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto Thee for ever.
*The Psalms listed are just a few examples.
Photo – In Flight, Beth Mims