After declaring that God holds no condemnation for those who come to Him through faith in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1), Paul spends most Romans, chapter 8 on the consequences of God’s grace in the believer’s life.
We usually think of consequence as a negative, something to be avoided, but the consequences of grace lift the believer and carry him through the fright and fray of this world into the glory of eternity with Christ.
Here are some of the consequences of God’s grace in my life that I found in Romans 8. It is worth reading for yourself.
- God frees me. (v. 2)
- The Spirit of God dwells in me. (v. 9)
- God is my Father; I am His child. (v. 14)
- God breaks the bondage of fear. (v. 15)
- God is my “Daddy”. That is the meaning of the word ‘Abba’. (v.15)
- God has given me rights to His inheritance with Christ. (v.17)
- I have the privilege of sharing the suffering of Christ. (v. 17)
- The reality of God and His promises grounds me in hope. (v. 23 – 25)
- God’s Spirit helps me. (v. 26)
- God’s Spirit is my intercessor. (v. 26)
- God is working in me and for me. (v. 28)
- God is conforming me to Christ’s image. (v. 29)
- God has called me, justified me, and He will glorify me. (v. 30)
- God is rooting for me. (v. 31)
- I am not condemned. (v.34) – Paul keeps coming back to this. I believe he was as enamored with the thought of ‘no condemnation’ as I am.
- Christ pleads my case. (v. 34)
- The steadfast love of Christ is my eternal security. (v. 35 – 37)
- God makes me an overcomer. (v. 38)
- Christ keeps me, no matter what this life brings. (v. 38 – 39)
- Christ’s love covers me. (v. 39)
When I first wrote this list, most of the statements began with “I” as I thought about how God’s grace works in my life. I had to go back and rewrite it, though, because God is the Initiator and Sustainer of this grace; I am just a recipient. He alone deserves the credit and the glory.
Life can throw some hard punches at us, and we can easily lose our focus on Who God is and what He has done and is doing for His children. These consequences of grace remind us that
He IS on the throne, He IS completing His work, He WILL bring us through, and we can rejoice in HIS steadfast love.
These are good truths with which to face the day!
Romans 1:16 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Photo – Morning Walk, Beth Mims
Thank you for this reminder that “God is the Initiator and Sustainer of this grace; I am just a recipient. He alone deserves the credit and the glory.”
You are a blessing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
So are you!