When the Holy Spirit is at work in my heart, He makes things happen. The Bible calls this bearing fruit.
Fruit is visible, and it is pleasant.
What can I expect to seeing growing in me when God is having His way in my heart?
- Love, even in the face of hate
- Joy, even in the middle of affliction
- Peace, even when my world is in turmoil
- Longsuffering (patience), even when I am required to wait and endure
- Gentleness, even in response to harshness
- Goodness that overcomes evil
- Faithfulness that refuses to give up and keeps me steady in difficult times
- Gentle strength (meekness), even when my world is rioting
- Self-Control in a world of instant gratification.
This is the fruit that God wants to bear in me. I am incapable of bearing this fruit on my own, but my submission to His way and His will allows Him to bear His fruit in me.
The question for me – is this fruit evident in my life?
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
Photo – Squash Blooms, Beth Mims