The older I get, the more I am thankful for the little blessings of each day.
You know, things like
- a quiet day at home;
- feeling the freshness of the air after a storm;
- enjoying a cup of coffee fixed just the way I like it;
- a baby’s laugh;
- hearing from a friend;
- having a child tell me a funny secret;
- seeing the picture of a grandchild;
- getting a sweet text from my husband;
- parking away from the front door of a store and being able to walk the distance;
- a new bud on a flower;
- a steamy shower;
- hearing from a family member;
- lying down after a long day;
- talking with a child;
- laughing at a good movie;
- remembering a promise from God;
- a peaceful heart;
- knowing my children are well;
- a smile;
- a starlit night;
- putting on a favorite sweater;
- a quiet prayer;
- the sun rising over a field of hay;
- holding a child;
- the first whiff of a changing season;
- seeing an old photograph;
- hearing the car crank when I press the ignition;
- a kiss —
little things that fill each day; the everyday blessings that fill my life.
I call them little things, but maybe these really are the biggest blessings from God.
Aches and pains are a constant. I can focus on the difficulties, or I can focus on the blessings. The world is full of problems, and some days I allow myself to get caught on the hamster wheel of worry.
God is still God, though. He is in control. The everyday blessings remind me of this, allowing His joy to permeate my heart.
And His joy is my strength.
What blessings fill your days?
Proverbs 10:22 The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: